Saturday, January 17, 2009

Lose Weight Without Exercising Or Dieting; Change Your Lifestyle Instead

This is a familiar story, this couple I know is in their late forties (well, that is what they told me to say, but they are in their fifties) and both are getting a little flabby. This is not surprising; they live a fairly inactive lifestyle. Form what I see they go to work, come home, have supper, spend a little time doing odd and end things around their home and then retire for the evening.

That does not sound very different from my own story as a matter of fact! This couple spent some time with my husband and I last weekend and they asked how we were staying in shape, they wanted to know what our secret is. First of all I was thrilled that anyone would say something like that and secondly I was happy to help a friend with something that they sincerely wanted to work on.

As I had said, this couple seemed to live their life much the same way that my husband I live ours; except for a few differences. I learned years ago that diets do not work for me, so therefore I learned all I could about nutrition and metabolism. Luckily you do not need to know much at all about either to know that metabolism and good nutrition are the keys to weight management.

I began explaining metabolism to our friends. Although both are well educated they said they had never really considered the impact of metabolism on weight loss before. They had mistakenly got caught up in the diet trends over the years and just never had much luck with any of them.

Then we talked about exercise. Although I am not athletic I do work out somewhat regularly at home; but I am not sure anyone else would consider what I do a workout. I simply run through some basic exercises about 3 or 4 times a week. My husband is very active on the job because he is in construction work. But we both know that we do not get enough structured physical activity so we have found ways to add activity to our life.

These are simple little techniques that anyone can do. I always park at the end of parking lots which forces me to walk a little farther. Instead of just letting my dogs outside in the fenced yard to do their business I take them for walks. My home is multi-level so I make it a point to travel from one level to another as many times as possible. At work I take the stairs instead of the elevator. But this one is the big one, this is the one that hurts the most so we do not stick with it, we change the TV channels by hand!

After our discussion our friends said they felt anxious to give this approach a try. They seemed to appreciate the fact that they had not been asked to start a drastic diet or to make any extreme changes to their schedules. I completely understood.
I also told about resources and books that I had read that might help them. My friends are well on their way to getting in shape,

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments: