Saturday, January 3, 2009

Walking For Fun, Walking To Burn Fat

Burning calories is often a goal of anyone determined to lose weight. But when faced with strenuous exercise routines it is easy to lose your motivation very quickly. Instead of exercising hard try exercising smart, consider walking!

Walking For Fun, Walking To Burn Fat

I know it is trendy to go to the gym and work out. I know it is healthy to work out at the gym, but I do not like gyms. I do not like the concept of using equipment that others have sweated on nor do I want other people seeing me attempt to work out. I will simply say that I am not an athletic person, but I do like to stay fit.

One of the ways that I have found to help me stay fit, healthy and in shape is by walking. I know, so simple but it is rarely discussed as an exercise alternative. Trust me, it does work.

Of course, just as with any exercise it is best to warm up before you begin. By warming up I mean that you should start out with a moderately paced walk. A tip is that you should alternate between walking fast and walking slower.

The change in your speed will help to increase the calories that you will burn. So I start out kind of slow, then build my speed up and walk at a very fast pace for awhile, and then I slow down again. I simply repeat this throughout my walk.

I know some people get into the specifics of exactly how far and how fast they walk but that is not my style. Most of my walks last approximately 45 minutes so I just walk in any one direction for about 20 to 25 minutes and then I turn around. I guess I am a simple kind of person but I really enjoy walking and it has done a lot in toning up my thighs and legs.

In addition to walking I sometimes do a few moves that I learned from an exercise video that are designed to enhance the fat burning and help build the muscles in my legs. These include side lunges, front lunges, and calf raises; ideally you should do these moves at least tow or three times per week.

To do a side lunge you stand with your feet apart and your hands on your hips, then you step to the right with your right foot. You will bend your knee and lower your body. Then you do this with your left foot. Alternate lunges for a total of 10 to 15 times for each leg.

The front is very similar only this time you will be stepping forward. Again you will need to repeat this 10 to 15 times for each leg. Calf raises are very easy to do. Begin by standing with your feet slightly apart and then lift yourself up onto your toes. Hold yourself there for a count of 5 and then lower yourself down to the floor. This should also be repeated 10 to 15 times.

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments: